Can stress cause constipation?
Thoughts and emotions that are triggered by stress are thought to have an impact on your digestive system and may contribute towards constipation. This is thought to be a result of the way in which your brain and gut work together, known as the brain-gut axis.6
There may be times when you can’t help feeling stressed, but there are things you can do to try and deal with stress better,
– Talk to family or friends about things that are worrying you
– Try increasing the amount of exercise
– Download some mindfulness or relaxation apps
– Make more time for your hobbies and interests
– Make sure you’re getting enough sleep
– Make sure you eat a healthy diet
6. Devanarayana, NM and Rajindrajith S, Association between Constipation and Stressful Life Events in a Cohort of Sri Lankan Children and Adolescents. J Trop Ped. 2010;56(3):144-8.
7. NHS. How to deal with stress. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/understanding-stress/. Accessed 2 Oct 2019.